The process of scientific discovery:
1. Observation: many of my (classical) liberal books have orange covers
2. Hmm: let's all have a think about it
3. Theory: The Liberal Whigs supported William of Orange, in his battle with James IIs Catholic insurgency. (Liberal values vs the authoritarian
4. Hypothesis: Orange is the colour of Liberalism
Ukraine's disputed election is forcing everyone here to choose sides. Kiev is opposition land. Everywhere you look there is orange.
The huge crowds who have taken to the streets have orange flags, orange clothes.
The receptionists at my hotel are in orange. Some people even have their cats and dogs in orange.
By the end of the week, Kiev's streets were a shifting sea of orange.
from BBC News
6. Confirmation: Opposition candidate Viktor Yushchenko is pro-Western, pro-markets and Orange is the color of his party.
Also, Pravda says:
We have not yet found out the author of Yushchenko's main and most brilliant political technology --- the orange colour of his election campaign. Igor Gryniv, one of Yushchenko's main PR-specialists, says it to be the colour of the political party "Reforms and Order", and it originally symbolized honey and bees, which are known as the PRO symbols.
Just when we had the theory licked: honey and bees?......Anyway i'm off to find an Orange ribbon on eBay.